Thursday, August 21, 2014

Latin Roots #1

Words from Latin Roots #1

ROOTS AND DERIVATIVES
  1. act, ag, ig: to do, to move, to drive
  2. ali, alter: another, other
  3. am: at/ to love
  4. anim: life, spirit, soul
WORD LIST
agenda - 

               Def. A list or plan of things to be done in the future; listed items to be taken up at a meeting. 

               Sen. I use my agenda everyday to write down my homework. 

agile-

               Def. Quick and easy of movement or thought; resourceful

               Sen. My actions when i'm dribbling through defenses are agile. 
alienate-

               Def. To make someone unfriendly, withdrawn, or indifferent.

               Sen. The boy was being very alienate to the new student.

altercation-

               Def. A heated or angry argument; a noisy quarrel.

               Sen. The boys got into an altercation after one of them cut in the lunch line.

amiable-

               Def.Generally pleasant, friendly and nice to be around.

          Sen. I am amiable if I get food when i'm hungry.

amorous-

               Def. Suggestive of love, lovemaking, or sexual desire.

          Sen. The man was very amorous  but he was single.

animated-

              Def. Filled with life and spirit.

              Sen. A team is animated when they win a championship.

equanimity-

               Def. Calmness or evenness of mind or spirit; even-temperedness.

               Sen. I have to have equanimity when I have a game.

inalienable-

               Def. That which cant be taken away or transferred to someone else.

               Sen. My textbooks are inalienable because they have my name in them and are checked out to me.

inanimate-

              Def. Possessing neither life nor spirit; not alive.

              Sen. An inanimate object can't move or talk.

magnanimous-

               Def. Showing a kind of nobleness of mind and spirit; high-minded; free from pettiness.

               Sen. When i am on the court I'm magnanimous.

reactionary-

               Def. Characterized by ideas suggestion by ideas suggesting a desire to move backward, especially in matters 
                          relate

No comments:

Post a Comment